Dentistry/Dark red dot spot on bottom of inner lip (Picture album included)

Dark red dot spot on bottom of inner lip (Picture album included)

Near the end of the day, I felt something bumpy on the bottom of my inner lip.
I looked in the mirror, and I saw a dark red dot.

(Sorry if the pictures aren't clear).

Maybe I bit my lip, but I don't remember.

Does it look like it's a common spot for a lip bite?

I feel somewhat certain that I didn't feel something yesterday or this morning.

When I bite my lip good, I think it goes white (canker sore?), and hurts for a while from contact and acid.

I don't think lighter bites changed the color that much.

This red dot doesn't hurt when I touch it.

I don't recall seeing a spot so dark red.

I don't always check every bump though.

I might see my doctor soon, unless I should go in the next couple days.

Thanks for any information.

Thanks very much Jeff for the question and including pictures.  It appears to me that this is a small hemangioma which is just a small collection of blood vessels and nothing to worry about. The other possibility in this location is something called a mucocoel which is a plugged mucous duct.  Usually these will resolve on their own but occasionally must be removed by a surgeon and all he does is remove the small duct that is plugged. It is  minor surgery with little pain.  I suggest you just wait and see if it resolves or gets larger but I am pretty sure this is not cancerous especially in this location.

Dr. Karmen

Thomas Karmen

All general dentistry questions, especially those related to fixed prosthetics. Endodontics, Periodontics, and implants, minor oral surgery I can't answer much about othodontics nor advanced treatment of carcinoma nor deep tissue surgery nor osseous surgery such as jaw reduction or advancement.

DDS In general practice and consulting with having done some lecturing for local dental societies.

ADA and Florida Dental Association and Iowa Dental association

DDS degree