Dentistry/dental work and child hypothyroidism

Question
m.y daughter who will be turning 6 was born with hypothyroidism .the first two years her t4 and TSH levels were up and down we change medication from levothyroxine to synthtoid. she has been stable so far  these past few years. However, her last letter results which were two weeks ago were at a 9.68 which is higher than normal. she is scheduled work in 2 months for dental work and needs local anesthetic but is not scheduled to have a thyroid blood drawn until 3 months .should I wait until I get the results from the blood before I go through with the dental treatment

Answer
Hi Nichol,

This question is really out of my expertise.  I did not even know what hypothyroidism is.  So after looking up on Google I found the following definition of Hypothyroidism:  "....a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones."  That's about the extent of it for me.  The article said that this condition is usually more common in adults over 60.

So my layman's guess would be to wait until the latest blood work results are complete before doing any dental treatment.  Most dental work is not life threatening.  However, to make a mistake on a child with Hypothyroidism may have unexpected consequences.

Just one more thing.  Even though most dentists have the surname of "Doctor" they are not necessarily an MD, or "Medical Doctor."  I would talk this out with your own pediatrician or even a endocrinologist.  Make sure they are aware of the latest blood work.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble