Dentistry/Dry Socket second molar 2nd week in...

Question
I had a crown on second molar #15 after an abscess resulting in a root canal for about 4 years and the last time the crown came off (4X)there was a decent amount of decay in the underlying tooth and after dentist recommended it..  I had an extraction on 10/1.  It was not a simple extraction... it involved hammer and mallot and it coming out in pieces (I have a history of nocturnal bruxism and my molars were worn)  The bleeding stopped in about 3 hrs and there was some minor oozing for less than 24hr.  I ate soft foods and refrained from smoking as I don't smoke.  I had no alcohol for 24hrs plus.  On the 4th I began to notice food particles being stuck in the socket... on the 5th the pain started...  I went in to dentist on the 7th and had packing placed.  I was also given RX for APAP #3 as I am not supposed to have ibuprofen due to unrelated surgery on 10/16.  I was also prescribed peridex QID and Amoxicillin 875mg BID.  The pain is now manageable without meds but I am worried about having food still stuck in the socket 2 weeks later.  I have pulmonary AVMS and am at risk of infection from dental procedures (I take 2gm amoxicillin before procedures)  I want to know how long does it take for the socket to close and what is continued risk of infection.

Answer
Patrick,

The only way to NOT get food stuck in the socket is to remain on a soft diet until the wound closes.  Time that it takes to close varies among patients by age, healing ability, chewing on the socket, oral habits, etc.  Let's say you had your big toe removed.  How soon after the surgery do you think you would want to walk on that foot?  It would be bandaged and otherwise protected with a sock and a shoe.  But how soon?  How soon would you want to run?  How long before the pain and irritation went away?

Having a tooth out is similar.  But we don't bandage it except for the gauze you bite on for an hour.  We don't put a sock or shoe over it for added protection.  And we warn you to stay on a soft diet for a few days.  That's it.  Yet most patients can't understand why food falls in the hole, or why it still hurts after a week when they chew (equivalent to walking on the lost toe).  

I would return to your dentist to have the socket irrigated every week until the wound closes, so that food and particles are removed, giving the socket a better chance to heal.  Take the pain meds until you no longer need them, and the antibiotic as directed until all the pills are gone.  And don't worry.  The socket will heal with time.  I just can't tell you how much time.

I hope my examples help you through this experience, and that your recovery from here on is rapid.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO