Dentistry/Extraction or Root canal of lower 1st molar

Question
I am a 47 year old female and have all my teeth except for the top left wisdom. I have had a couple of root canals and a apecoetomy (spelling). Currently I have a infection and abscess in my right lower 1st molar (12 year molar). I did see a dentist am on Amoxicillin and pain relievers until the infection clears for treatment. The tooth originally broke off partially from a large silver filling. In Kenya, I had a composite filling done around it in March, and had planned to replace it with a crown late this year. I suppose either decay was left from the dentist inn Kenya or the composite cracked. In any case, my choice is a root canal or extraction The tooth is fairly weak, but the dentists said it could be done--not knowing how long it will last. I do still have a healthy wisdom tooth in back of it.I am terrified to have it extracted for all the possible complications and especially for loss of jaw bone. I am afraid it will change my bone structure in my jaw (appearance). Will it in any way? I have to also consider the price difference but do not want to make a mistake in extracting this tooth, if it will change the appearance of my jawline or largely impact my mouth in any way. What would be your opinion, from your experience? Thank you.

Answer
Dear CherieS,

I'm not sure which tooth it is.  You said it's your first molar, then said (12 year molar).  If it's the molar closest to the front of your mouth, and is a good candidate for root canal and crown, then I would keep it.  If it's the molar behind that, you might be able to get away with removing it.  If it is removed, you will likely lose jawbone.  But usually not enough to affect the shape of your face.  And if you lose it and don't replace it, your healthy wisdom tooth is likely to tip forward (toward the front of your mouth) over time.

I can't make the decision for you because I can't see the condition of your tooth or the shape of your face.  But my general bias is for you to keep your natural teeth if you can.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO