Dentistry/Herbst Appliance

My daughter is 14.  She had the Herbst appliance when she was 12 and is now having popping and pain in her jaw when she chews, yawns, etc. She also has a lump in her left cheek (jaw area) that was just biopsied and it is a Benign Vascular Lesion.  Could these problems be caused from the Herbst Appliance?  She is being seen right now by a Pediatric Otolaryngology for the lump and she is supposed to have an MRI to determine how to proceed.  Do you have any suggestions?
Thank you.

Sue - I am not sure of the cause of the vascular lesion. Having the ENT doctor evaluate the cheek lesion is not a bad idea, but the popping jaw pain is most likely secondary to the Herbst appliance
causing excess forces on the jaw joints as the orthodontist attempts to bring the lower jaw forward. I am not a fan of the appliance and have been contacted on this website a number of times previously about the same issue.  With what your daughter is experiencing, I suggest you make an appointment with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to examine the joints.  At her age to have the joint pain is not good.  So have her evaluated soon by a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  If you have additional questions, please feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude