Dentistry/Implants with Metal Partial

Dr. Tieg, I have a lower cast metal partial, and my denture specialist(Proth.) is sending me to an oral surgeon to get two implants because of loss of ridge height and my partial keeps hydro-planing in the center. He said he can punch the holes in the metal to fit the implants, no problem. When I went back to my old regular dentist, because of a clasp adjustment, he said no way can this partial receive two implants, because it is metal.  I don't know who to believe, what is your opinion? Thanks

Marty - I'm not sure that the two different metals will be compatible touching each other.  Two metals can often produce some electrical effects that can jeopardize the implants.  For that reason, in creating new partial dentures for existing implants, the dental laboratories make sure that a new partial will not interact with each other.  

Implants are great to create stability, but the two metals I must be sure not to interact.  So the surgeon may be wrong and can only be sure if he discovers any possible interactions.  Implants.t-shirt wood make the lower partial very stable.  So any dentist and surgeon involved must work together to insure that the metals will not interact.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude