Dentistry/Implants with Metal Partial

Question
Dr. Tieg, I have a lower cast metal partial, and my denture specialist(Proth.) is sending me to an oral surgeon to get two implants because of loss of ridge height and my partial keeps hydro-planing in the center. He said he can punch the holes in the metal to fit the implants, no problem. When I went back to my old regular dentist, because of a clasp adjustment, he said no way can this partial receive two implants, because it is metal.  I don't know who to believe, what is your opinion? Thanks

Answer
Marty - I'm not sure that the two different metals will be compatible touching each other.  Two metals can often produce some electrical effects that can jeopardize the implants.  For that reason, in creating new partial dentures for existing implants, the dental laboratories make sure that a new partial will not interact with each other.  

Implants are great to create stability, but the two metals I must be sure not to interact.  So the surgeon may be wrong and can only be sure if he discovers any possible interactions.  Implants.t-shirt wood make the lower partial very stable.  So any dentist and surgeon involved must work together to insure that the metals will not interact.
anyde

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired