Dentistry/Need maxi facial surgery

I can not breathe and I have a class 2 over jet with cross bite. How so I get insurance to pay for my surgery? If I move my lower jaw forward a breathe better without having to have my mouth open.

Christy -  your situation is a common one.  I have had a number of patients with a medical necessity for jaw surgery to create an alignment of the jaws to promote health.  I have discovered that insurance companies look not what is best for the individual, but for a reason not to cover for a procedure.

I have always asked, in those patients where the jaw alignment problem has caused secondary physical medical problems, to have their physician write a letter to the insurance company, if the doctor felt there was a medical effect to the jaw problem, to request surgical jaw correction to help with the medical situation.  So your job is to speak with your physician, but also to speak with the oral and maxillofacial surgeon to have him also speak with your physician.  This will require work from you, obviously, but if the jaw correction is correct, your physician will greatly help the chance of your insurance company affecting the outcome of the insurance company's decision.  I wish you well and hope what you get what you need.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude