I recently had a teeth cleaning don't think it's related. I can't remember but an ulcer may have been in this location.  I have a nodule it appears to be right by the mental foramen. When I mess with it it sends a weird shock feeling didn't think you could touch the nerve?  Should I be concerned?  Its tender now but could be from me messing with it.  Any insight to what this could be?

Laken - messing with the opening of the mental forsaken can definitely cause irritation to the mental nerve.  This can produce a number of different altered sensations.  For that reason, when a denture is made, care is taking not to have the hard acrylic of the denture to free on or irritate the nerve exiting the mental forsaken.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude