Dentistry/Severe pain on tooth number 11

Question
Hi Dr. Finnk,

For several years now I keep getting this throbbing and pressure pain which seems to be coming from tooth number 11. After numerous root canals and retreatments the pain is still continuing.

Recently, for the past three months I have seen about 3 to 4 dentists  that have no idea where my pain is coming from.

As you can imagine this is very frustrating, because I keep telling them that the pain is there but yet nothing is visible on the x-rays.

I did have a CT scan of the mouth done and everything looked normal according to the oral surgeon which I saw recently.

Please give me some advice on how to proceed from here, as I am in excruciating pain, and nobody seems to be helping me.

Also, for teeth eight and nine when my general dentist extracted them and put in dental implants and crowns I have a space in between that food is getting stuck in there and it's causing me pain and for my gums to bleed.

Is there anyway to fix this and if so please explain to me how.

Thank you

Carolina

Answer
Dear Carolina,

Have any of the dentists you have seen been root canal specialists (endodontist).  If not, have one of your dentists refer you to a good one.

If you have already seen at least one root canal specialist, and that person cannot find a reason for your pain, ask one of your dentists to adjust your throbbing tooth completely out of your bite, so that this tooth cannot be felt when you put your teeth together.  After this has been done, wait one week.  If this tooth is still throbbing, and no dentist or specialist can find a reason, you should see a neurologist to rule out any other cause of your pain.

About food getting caught between your front teeth:  Yes there is a way to stop this.  It is by using custom abutments (I am assuming that your implant dentist did not).  These are the parts that fit into your implants under your gums, and are shaped to resemble your tooth root as it emerges from your gum.  Then your crowns can be made to fit together as natural teeth do.  I know this may be hard for you to visualize.  It's hard for many dentists to visualize.

Let me know how things turn out on both fronts.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO