Dentistry/wisdom tooth erupting?

I'm in my 50s and never had my impacted wisdom teeth removed. Three months ago, I had a bottom second molar extracted. It healed normally, but a couple of weeks ago, the gums became tender, and it looked like I was seeing a tooth beginning to erupt. I called my dentist, but he assured me this wouldn't be possible since the wisdom tooth was sideways. But, for the last couple of days, I've begun to feel a jagged edge and it appears to have cut through. Is this possible?

Dear Anna,
No major problem here.
The edge you feel is most likely a tiny piece of bone that broke off when the molar tooth was removed. Usually when this rather common occurence happens the small piece of bone falls out by itself, if you cannot pull it out comfortably yourself, the dentist can lift it out easily. Sort of like taken a splinter out of your skin, but probably much easier.
Once the little piece is removed uneventful healing will continue.
All the best
Dr. Moss

Stephen J. Moss

I am a professor emeritus at New York University, with a background that includes extensive research, scientific writing and biology. I also am an international consultant in health education, particularly in developing education on new science for health professionals and consumers. I am a past president of the American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry, former head of the NYU Division of Oral Biology and I represent the World Dental Federation at the United Nations. I travel around the world to provide health education to professionals and consumers.

Having retired from New York Universit, where I directed the pediatric dentistry training program, a walk-in dental clinic and research on oral biology, I formalized my professional and consumer health education initiative in the form of Health Education Enterprises. This entity consults and provides information on new science pertaining to oral and general health, particularly leading edge concepts that can be employed in the health professions to improve the public's health. As such, I am an expert in communicating new science and its usefulness to professional and lay audiences alike. I also had a pediatric dentistry practice in New York City for nearly 30 years.

I am affiliated with the American Dental Association, the World Dental Federation, the International Association of Pediatric Dentistry and the American Association of Pediatric Dentistry among other formal organizations. My experience has included a research fellowship at the National Institutes of Health and work at the Forsythe Dental Research Center

lpha Omegan USA, Nowa Stomatologia Poland, Journal of Public Health Dentistry, The Journal of the Southeastern Society of Pediatric Dentistry USA, News Bulletin Japan, Journal of Marmara University Dental Faculty Turkey, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry Italy, Asian Dentist Singapore, The Journal of the Israel Dental Association Israel, ROBRAC Brazil, Italian Journal of Paediatric Dentistry
Italy, FDI World, STOMA Portugal, Pediatric Dentistry The Philippines, Modern Stomatology Bulgaria, Journal of the Indian Society of Pedodontics and Preventive Dentistry India

I obtained a doctor of dental science (DDS) degree, a master of science degree and am a board certified pediatric dentist.