Dentistry/Apiocectomy-open gum wound

Hi there, I underwent an Apiocectomy seven day's ago, I thought everything was doing great, swelling going down, minimal discomfort etc however my gum felt "odd" today so I looked at the wound in a mirror and where the stitches were (dissolving type) I now have a 2cm long 0.5cm wide gaping hole going into my upper front jaw (teeth 12.13 RCT)where the surgery was done.  Is this ok!! or dangerous to my wellbeing?? because when I called the Maxillo's rooms I was told not to worry about it??? My confusion is why have stitches to join the gums together again if a gaping hole is OK? Can you please give me some clarity here coz I am not happy with the hole and am worried. Thank you

Hi Tania,

I'm sorry to hear this is going on. If, in fact, it is a hole and not just the lines left by the suture, it is a problem and should be taken care of. A open wound like that could lead to an infection because the mouth is filled with bacteria. I would suggest that you call your dentist back and sort of demand that you be re-examined, if for no other reason than to make you feel better about the situation. I think if you express your concern and this whole thing has you stressed out, they should accommodate your request.

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD

I am an Endodontist ( root canal specialist ) and can answer questions about root canals and their treatment. I cannot diagnose or treat online, but can answer general questions. I have been a specialist for 25 years and am Past President of the Washington State Association of Endodontists.

25 years practicing as a specialist

American Association of Endodonists, Past President Washington State Association of Endodontists.