Dentistry/broken tooth with pin extending from it.

I have broken off an old filling, when the filling came off the pin in the tooth that was helping to hold the filling in place remained in the tooth.  It is at such an angle that it is cutting my tongue.  I have called my dentist but can not get in to her for 4 weeks.  Is it possible to pull out the pin myself?  Any advice will be greatly appreciated.  I know the obvious choice is to see another dentist but where I live that is almost impossible.

Carrie - It is not a good idea to try to remove the pin yourself.  Teeth can be fragile and the removal of a pin, of pressure is applied, can fracture the tooth.  What I cannot understand is why your dentist will not try to get you in sooner.  My suggestion is to go to a pharmacy.  In the pharmacy there may be a soft wax that you can purchase and apply to the area.  The wax will not last more than a day and needs to be placed, at least, daily, but it is something that will allow you to hold off the treatment if the dentist will not help you sooner.  The wax is used for patients who wear braces, to not allow irritations.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude