Dentistry/conventional dentures

Question

I am 56 years old and am getting conventional dentures. Can I expect that after 8 weeks after extractions with no complications and that healing is at a good point--that I'll get a satisfactory impressions made for a complete set of conventional dentures?

Thank you,
Joan

Answer
Dear Joan:
Two months is a very good guideline for general bone healing.  However, the bone will continue to heal and remodel for at least 6 months to a year following the extractions.  Since this is your first set of complete dentures and you cannot keep walking around without teeth, it is a good idea to proceed and make the dentures after 2 months.  However, be prepared to have to reline the dentures in about 6 months to a year.
The acrylic, plastic, that the Dentures are made of is designed to last for about 5 years.    You will then, have to make new dentures anyway.  Those will probably be able to be made to fit even better since at that time the bond will be much more stable.
Go and get your teeth done and best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.