Dentistry/deep gum cleaning

3 years ago I had a deep gum cleaning from my dentist. He gave me over 20 needles to freeze my mouth for this cleaning and in less than a month after my gums started swelling and pushing my teeth out. I went back to him about a month and a half later to have one tooth pulled out because it had pushed its way out and was also loose. It was to the point that I could not eat because I could not bite my teeth together. Ever since then 90% of my teeth have been pushing out or separating. I have been in constant pain for over 3 years. I have gone to 3 other dentists for verbal consultations and can not get any answers to whether the dentist has done something wrong, but all have asked me if he had done a follow up within 2 to 3 weeks after the procedure. He did not request a follow up and I would like to know if he should have after that procedure ? Even after he pulled that one tooth out he still did not inquire about a check up or anything and I had mentioned to him that I was having problems since the procedure.
Finally this year I was advised by another dentist to go to a periodontist which I did. The periodontist told me that he only got half of the build up underneath my gums, then my gums healed over the teeth which the remaining build up that he did not get became infected and the only way the infection could come out was by pushing my teeth out trying to get out. I would like to know if in fact this is what happened because before this deep gum cleaning I had no problems eg. I ate peanuts or cashews anytime. Since the procedure I can only eat soft food and there is times that I have had to live on liquids for weeks at a time.

Dear Omer,

Certainly you can't expect me to give an opinion about your condition without allowing me to examine you and obtain records and xrays.  However, you say that you already visited a periodontist who did look at your gums, teeth and xrays and that he gave you the answers to the questions you are asking me.

In general, after we provide a deep scaling and root planing to our patients who have gum disease, we have them return in 6 weeks to examine the teeth and gums to make sure that the gums have healed and reattached to the roots of the teeth, and that the patient is taking proper care at home.  After that, we will usually see the patient every 3 months to make sure that the teeth and gums are maintained.  

After you saw the periodontist, did the periodontist recommend treatment?  If so, what did the periodontist recommend?  Did you go forward with the recommendations of the periodontist?

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.