Dentistry/Loose implant

I have had two implants that lasted for 7 years.  I  had a bone graft then.  Now I am having this done all over again by a different oral surgeon.  I have had the second bone graft (3 months to heal) and the post put in to wait another 3 months to heal.  But it has been a month and today the post is real loose and feels like it it going to come out.  Of course this is the weekend  and I can't get in to see the oral surgeon.  My question is can there be something else that can be done besides having to go through this for the third time.  The first implant went okay with no pain but this time after the post was put in I hurt for 3 weeks.  My regular dentist said not to get a bridge that the other teeth were not strong enough for the bridge.  I felt like he talked me into this.  I should have gotten a second opinion.  This time they were going to do a tulip implant (one post instead of two).  I would like to have your opinion on what I should do.  Thank you

Dear Netia,

You didn't tell me why after 7 successful years with your first implants, you are having them done all over again.  I don't know if you are having this done in your upper or lower jaws.  I don't know what type of appliance your original implants were holding.  I don't know how many of your teeth were missing.  I don't know the condition of your gums around your remaining teeth.  I don't know your other health conditions, if any.  I don't know the density of the bone surrounding your implants.  I don't know the techniques used to place your current implants. I don't know if proper medications were given both before and after your implants were placed.  So as you can see, I will have a difficult time answering your question.

If you are among the 2% of patients for whom implants just will not work, and you have natural teeth surrounding the spaces where teeth are missing, you could have bridges (cemented) or partials (held in by wires) made.  While implants are state of the art, and are retained well 98% of the time, there are those rare individuals for whom implants do not work.

I wish I could help you more.  But as you can see, I need to know a lot more about you before I can be more specific and more helpful.  

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.