Dentistry/Front lower teeth discomfort

I recently went to the dentist with lower front tooth pain. Number 25 I think. Lower front right. Had xrays done and cleaning and dentist said it looks fine. Couple weeks later is still has discomfort, but now it seems to affect all four front lower teeth. But 25 is still the main one. But at night when I lay down it feels like they are very gently being tugged on or pulled down sometimes. My gums seems to be sore at times as well on the inside of my mouth behind the teeth. I tend to rub my tongue on the area a lot now due to the discomfort. But none of the teeth are sensitive to anything and I went back to the dentist and he said I must be griniding or clenching my teeth.  Sometimes I get a quick jolt of pain when I touch one of them with my tongue. But when I eat they seem fine. Dentist is having a mouth guard made for me and in the mean time I am using a store bought one, but my teeth still have this discomfort. Any ideas what might be happening? I don't really feel like I am grinding or clenching. My jaws don't hurt when I wake up. The sensation lasts all day, but doesn't wake me up from sleep. It's been 5 weeks since all this started. Thanks

Dear Forest,

Your symptoms are consistent with nighttime bruxing of the teeth. Many people do this at night during REM sleep. It is not uncommon for a patient to be unaware of their activity. Definately ask your dentist to make you a night guard and see if wearing it helps.

Lawrence Spindel DDS,

Cosmetic Dentistry, Endodontics, General Dentistry, Preventive Dentistry, Comprehensive Dental Care

Former Clinical Instructor of Comprehensive Dentistry, and Prosthodontic Department New York University School of Dentistry. Also former instructor of Preventive Dentistry Columbia University School of Dentistry.

Ask Dr Spindel Dental Blog also numerous articles on (over 100 pages of original content)

1980 DDS New York University College of Dentistry 1981 GPR Manhattan VA Hospital

OKU 1980 Honor Society 1980 Long Island Academy of Odontology award for highest combined Academic and Clinical Achievement.
In 1997 he was elected to Fellowship into the International Academy for Dental Facial Esthetics