Dentistry/old filling

I wanted to know how old fillings are checked. I recently went to a dentist for an exam and he used a tool that applied intense pressure on my molar. I was wondering why this is done?

Usually the dentist will use an instrument called an explorer that checks for cracks or defects in the existing fillings. Sometimes the dentist will apply pressure to insure that the filling and surrounding tooth do not flex or have any hidden cracks.

I hope this helps!

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR