Dentistry/Pain and bad smell after sinus lift

Question
Hi! I'm a 44 yo female. A week ago I had a sinus lift, bone graft and implant on the left upper jaw molar. I'm still taking pain killers, as the pain is pretty strong. On day 5 I could smell bad odor. Seen the doctor twice. The X-Ray is great. I'm taking ciprofloxacin. When I clean my nose there's some little blood. I know it's uncommon to have pain this long. This is my fifth implant- all of them were fine. After this molar was extracted, I was in much pain for more than a week too. Shall I ask the doctor to take the implant out?

Answer
Ann - I cannot be sure without examining you, but you are correct that the pain you are enduring is lasting too long.  The bad odor might be indicative that an infection in the sinus has developed.  You don't say the type of dentist who did this surgery, but if there is an infection in the sinus, a general dentist or periodontist should not be attempting to get rid of the infection.  Either see a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon or an ENT doctor.  Sinus infections can become trapped in the sinus unless a proper opening for sinus drainage can be established.

You may need to lose the implant and the graft material in the sinus to eliminate the infection, but have one of the above doctors evaluate the area.  I wish you well and hope the infection and odor resolves soon.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired