Dentistry/prescription fluoride paste?

Question
Is prescription fluoride toothpaste safe? Last year I requested prescription toothpaste from the dentist i used and he said "you don't want that it can cause thyroid problems" or something like that. I am thinking of asking whichever dentist I go to this year the same thing. I am sick of getting fillings every time if I can just use some prescription paste and it would lower the chance of fillings.thanks

Answer
Dear John:
...if it were only that easy...
Fluoride is one of the greatest public health measures ever taken.  It allowed us to grow a generation who is virtually caries (decay) free.  Most of my generation 40-50 year olds and younger have grown up in a fluoridated water system and have much less cavities than any generation before us.  However, that is at the aggregate level. Individually, there are many people with dental decay due to genetic factors and poor oral hygiene.  
Receiving fluoride through the water system, as most people do, or receiving supplements will reduce the RISK of getting cavities, in general, but it is not an indication for you, as an individual, that you will not get cavities.  It is just like wearing a seat belt in a car.  If you wear a seat belt, you will reduce your chances of getting injured in a car crash and there are plenty people who do not wear a seat belt and still do not get into a car accident.  In addition, even if you wear a seat belt, you will still get injured if you are in a severe crash.
Fluoride is very effective as teeth develop in children.  However, in adults, the benefits are marginal.  To my knowledge, there are no adverse effects of fluoride if taken at prescribed doses.  However, typically, prescription fluoride is given to children who live in a non-fluoridated area (in New York, the water is fluoridated in most counties).  In addition, people who undergo radiation and chemo therapy receive supplements.
If you do not fall into any of the risk groups, than the benefits of fluoride are negligible.
The best you can do is to go and see a dentist whom you trust and make sure that you follow a careful hygiene regiment at home and go and get a professional cleaning at least twice yearly and appropriate X-ray.
If you want to make sure that you are seen by the most qualified dentist, go see a prosthodontist, who is the expert in restorative, cosmetic, and implant dentistry.  Www.gotoapro.org will have a link to an expert near you.
Best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.