Dentistry/Replacing bridge with partial denture

Hey Doc. Im a 58 yo male in good health. I have a lower bridge located on lower jaw right in the front that holds two teeth. It recently broke and I went to see the dentist to get it re-glued. They said I should get a partial denture which I agree with. When I went back for them to get a molding I asked then to put my bridge back in until the partial bridge came back for fitting. They said it couldn't be done. This took me by surprise! I asked them''theirs no way you can remove this bridge when my partial bridge is ready'' No they said. Well I'm getting a second opinion this Thursday. Is this true? With all the new advances today I am really shocked. Cant they grind the bridge out?

Hi Brad,

It depends on where your bridge broke off and the condition of the roots holding on to the bridge.
That said, 90% of the dentists would have probably said the same thing b/c it's not easy to put back a broken bridge most of the time.

-John Kong, DDS

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts and gum grafts.

My practice focuses in the field of periodontics and dental implants. I enjoy working with dental specialists to coordinate full mouth reconstructions and cosmetic dentistry.

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association, Queens County Dental Association

BA - Wesleyan University, DDS - SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, Certificate in Periodontics - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey