Dentistry/sour taste in mouth after dentistry

Question
My husband recently had an amalgam filling replaced with a resin filling.  The dentist stuck the needle in the inside area of his tooth to numb the area and then stuck it in farther and it hit a nerve.  It felt like a jolt of electricity and since then (about one month) his tongue has felt numb and he has a sour taste in his mouth continuously. Everything he eats tastes sour.  Will this taste and feeling eventually go away?  Is there anything he can do about it?
Thank you for your help!

Answer
Dear Suzanna:
I am so sorry to hear of your husband's troubles.  However, this is a rare injury to the nerve to the tongue, which can happen when that type of anesthesia is given.
The nerve to the tongue is located in the same area as the nerve to the lower jaw.  It can be touched when the needle is inserted and that contact can create a problem.
Unfortunately, there is not much that can be done.  Some people have tried administering anti-inflammatory medications to heal the nerve, with mixed results.
The best thing to do at this time is to ask your dentist for a referral to an oral surgeon.  This falls within the scope of work of the oral surgeon and the oral surgeon can evaluate your husband's condition further.
This is all that I can give you over this very limited forum.
Best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.