Dentistry/White spots

Question
A couple of days ago I noticed a white spot near the bottom of my mouth, and now there is another one. Any expertise would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Answer
Michael - white spots in the mouth could be from a number of different causes.  They could be from an irritation.  They could be from a clogged duct from a gland that produces saliva.  It could be an infection of either viral or bacterial in origin.  

A key thing to look for is if there is a slight redness around the spot.  If not, then excessive inflammation is not present.  My suggestion would be to simply begin a warm salt water rinses, with a glass of warm water and 1 teaspoon salt.  Rinse for about 1 full minute 4-5 times a day.  If the problem is an irritation, the area should resolve within 5-7 days.  If not, make an appointment with an oral and maxillofacial surgeon to evaluate it.

I hope it is just minor inflammation.  If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired