You are here:

Dentistry/Callus on Gum


Dr. I have a callus on my gum that sits on the bone and is painful right in front of my lower right molar. If I go to an oral surgeon to remove it, does he cut the callus off, and then place gum tissue over it, or just remove the callus and stitch it up? Thanks

without seeing this in person, i really cannot answer you with a definite answer. most often, things are merely stitched up...rarely is there a need for a graft. but if things cannot close normally with a stitch, a graft would then be done. ask the surgeon ahead of time what he or she is thinking so you will know what to expect. you are seeing an oral surgeon so that is good...they are the most experienced at doing something like this. good luck

jeff dalin, dds


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jeff Dalin DDS


general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children


Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.

©2017 All rights reserved.