Dentistry/Callus on Gum

Question
Dr. I have a callus on my gum that sits on the bone and is painful right in front of my lower right molar. If I go to an oral surgeon to remove it, does he cut the callus off, and then place gum tissue over it, or just remove the callus and stitch it up? Thanks

Answer
without seeing this in person, i really cannot answer you with a definite answer. most often, things are merely stitched up...rarely is there a need for a graft. but if things cannot close normally with a stitch, a graft would then be done. ask the surgeon ahead of time what he or she is thinking so you will know what to expect. you are seeing an oral surgeon so that is good...they are the most experienced at doing something like this. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Dentistry

Jeff Dalin DDS