Hi just had a asyptomatic cystic lesion remove 2 weeks ago just would like to learn about it,how did this happen and can it come back if so what will i have to do next.thak you

Pam - the doctor who removed the cyst, by necessity, should have submitted it for a pathological evaluation.  The results of the pathological evaluation, by itself, shows the origin of the cyst and if the cells within the cyst are of a type that has a tendency to return.  

It is important that the area of the cyst needs to be closely followed.  Follow up xrays need to be done to determine if the cyst is still present, if it is growing or if the area is healing.

So it is basically the responsibility of the doctor who removed the cyst to closely follow it to make sure the area heals.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude