Dentistry/cyst

Question
Hi just had a asyptomatic cystic lesion remove 2 weeks ago just would like to learn about it,how did this happen and can it come back if so what will i have to do next.thak you

Answer
Pam - the doctor who removed the cyst, by necessity, should have submitted it for a pathological evaluation.  The results of the pathological evaluation, by itself, shows the origin of the cyst and if the cells within the cyst are of a type that has a tendency to return.  

It is important that the area of the cyst needs to be closely followed.  Follow up xrays need to be done to determine if the cyst is still present, if it is growing or if the area is healing.

So it is basically the responsibility of the doctor who removed the cyst to closely follow it to make sure the area heals.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired