Dentistry/to extract or not

Question
Hi and thank you for taking the time to answer my question.
I am 48 years old, have gum disease and need to have all four sections of my gums cleaned.(surgery)
in addition tooth #2 needs to be removed.it is my understanding it is impossible to save it. tooth #2 has a crown and is really decayed .it basically has a hole in it. the dental surgeon recommended having it extracted and have an implant to replace it.  The periodontist is recommending to extract  #1,2,16 and 32. to prevent farther damage to my receding gums.
can I please have your opinion? do you think # 2 is needed for chewing? what about the other teeth,i understand it is common to extract wisdom but need your input.
thank you again,

Answer
Dear Miri:
Sorry to hear that you have to deal with Periodontal disease.  It is never pleasant and collateral damage, such as tooth removal is sometimes necessary.
I absolutely agree with your periodontist.  Unfortunately, I cannot examine you and your X-rays myself.  However, generally, the treatment plan that your periodontist suggested is exactly what I suggest to my own patients.  
Wisdom teeth, if you have room for them in your mouth and if you can take care of them, can stay.  However, most people do not have the room for them, and cannot keep them clean.  The are better off extracted.  They will just give you troubles in the future and will exacerbate the periodontal disease.
As to #2.  It is probably compromised beyond repair and as such it is better to be removed so that it does not compromise the other teeth.
Best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.