Dentistry/multiple X-rays question

Question
hi

hope you can help I'm a little worried I've recently had quite a few dental X-rays,
about a year ago i had a deep pre molar filling, and then i had pain sensitivity after when having hot/cold foods, my dentist took an X-ray, on the NHS he said he could not do a root canal do he referred me to another dentist they took a second X-ray , (but at this time i didn't know that it was a private dentist and i can't afford private, so i went to a third NHS dentist, and they took another X-ray but i didn't feel comfortable with this dentist after seeing all bad reviews.

so i plan to visit a fourth dentist this week, i assume they will do another X-ray, I've seen on the internet risks of dental X-rays and cancer, and dental X-rays and thyroid cancer,

so because  i would have had a total of four dental X-rays what are my risks low, medium or high?

also are root canals painful procedure its a premolar
thankyou

Answer
Hi Kevin,

I am sorry you have had to go through all those X-rays.

Yes, I believe that the conventional wisdom is that it is wise to keep X-Rays to a minimum.  Plus, it can be quite expensive to get multiple X-rays or MRIs.

What I have been doing over the past few years is that whenever I get an X-Ray or MRI, I always ask for a COPY!  What that usually means is that they will burn a DVD for you to keep.  There will usually be a nominal charge, maybe about $25.00.

Once you have the copy, you can take that with you wherever you want to go next.  Many dental offices work sort of like an assembly line.  The nurse or Dental Hygienist will by rote, try to give you an X-Ray.  Very often, if you bring your own copy, and assuming it is relatively recent, like within the past 6 months or so, many dentists will accept that.

Bringing your own X-Ray to the doctor, will help you avoid repeated exposure to X-Rays and may save you a little bit of money in the process.

Another way of doing it, is to ask a dentist to electronically forward your X-Ray, to the next dental office.  Hopefully they will not mind forwarding X-Rays to other "competitors."  I view it as a professional courtesy.  And since it appears that several dentists have already X-ray'd you, I would call one of those offices, and ask them to electronically send it.

And by the way, asking for a copy of your X-Ray is good practice, even when going to other types of doctors or health professionals.  You never know when you will need it.

I would talk to your general doctor or dentist about X-ray risks.  I only know that in the general sense, that it is not a good idea.

Yes, root canals can be painful, but does not necessarily have to be.  Do your homework and find a dentist who currently does MANY root canals.  It 's not just about knowing how to do a root canal, but also being in practice.

Good luck Kevin!

Best regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble