Dentistry/Do I really need a filling on these teeth?

Question
Hi (I am 59 yo male, worn teeth, worn nightgard since age 24, regular dental care):  my dentist of ~15 yrs has recommended fillings on the biting edge of 4 teeth (21, 22, 27, 28)due to wear. There is some visible wear (as if enamal is thin or perhaps worn thru, but doesn't cover more than 1/3 or less of the contact edge, and one tooth I can hardly see anything at all - maybe the head of a pin-size wear spot.  I've noticed this wear before (at least 10 yrs ago), but it hasn't seemed to change much since then; so I'm not clear on the need.  I'm concerned about the stability of these fillings on biting edge; I've had these before - on chipped front teeth, and they never last very long, requiring regular visits to repair, more removal of tooth material, and eventually cosmetic crowns.  All of my teeth have some wear, but these (21-22, 27-28), probably have less than the others (at least the ones without fillings).  At the same time, if there is a risk of letting it go, and the filling would last and hold in place, I would have no problem with it.  I realize dentists are trained and know more about this but I'm still not understanding it and unable to evaluate the need vs. risk.  Please give me your thoughts on doing fillings on the biting edges of these teeth, and what if anything I should ask my dentist (other than to explain it better to me).

Answer
Dear Steve,

Without being able to see your teeth, I cannot render a reasoned answer to your question.

Having said that, I have seen many patients with badly worn teeth.  Many with both the enamel and the underlying dentin worn through.  Some of these teeth have worn nearly to the gumline.  Some of these poor patients require many caps to restore their bite and tooth sizes.  But for most of them I will recommend the conservative placement of bonding materials on the most-worn areas.  With most of today's bonding materials, there is very little, if any, tooth loss.  Often, drilling is not needed.  Their surfaces can simply be etched and the bonding placed over the etched worn areas.  Most bonding materials release fluoride slowly.  This fluoride release tends to harden what's left of the underlying teeth. I do this to protect what's left of the already damaged teeth.  And my patients understand that I am doing this to prevent further tooth wear, and that these may wear down or chip, and need to be replaced over time.  But I'd rather they wear or chip my material than to continue to degrade their teeth.  My son is one of my best customers for these procedures.  He has been a severe tooth clencher since his teeth first grew in.  He's 37 now, and we continue to place thin layers of bonding material over his worn teeth for protection.

I can't tell you what to do.  But I can tell you that your dentist is probably recommending what is best to protect your already worn teeth.  It's up to you to decide if you want to protect them.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO