Dentistry/Sensitive Filling

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
10 days ago I got a cracked white filling re-filled in my back bottom tooth, and since then I cannot chew on the side of the filling because it hurts. It doesn't hurt when I clench my jaw, only when I try to chew. It is also sensitive to hot and cold. I know that new fillings can be sensitive, but I am really worried because this is the only filling I've ever had any pain or sensitivity with. I've been looking online, and I've seen quite a few people saying the same thing happened to them, and they ended up having to get a root canal to get rid of the pain! I cannot afford a root canal right now. I am getting married in a month and will be off of my parent's dental insurance, which is the whole reason I wanted to get a check up while I could. I take really good care of my teeth so I knew if I needed any work done it would only be to fix old fillings, but now I'm worried if I go back and tell my dentist my filling is bothering me he will tell me I need a root canal! I don't think the filling is too high because my bite feels perfectly fine.

ANSWER: Dear Emily,

It may be that you need a root canal.  Once in a great while (about 5% of the time), just cleaning out the decay and refilling the tooth can cause enough irritation to the nerve to cause enough sensitivity to lead to the need for root canal. However, since you can feel sensitivity to hot and cold, there is still chance that your sensitivity will go away.  Try a soft diet for one week and take 2 Advil every 6 hours for five days.  If after one week on this regimen the sensitivity is not gone, plan on a root canal.  

Good luck.

QUESTION: Thank you for your response. I will take care of that side of my mouth and hope it heals. I also just bought a night guard to take the pressure off my teeth when I sleep. It is tight enough but my mouth does not lay closed over it. I have to physically move my lips together to touch. Is this normal?

Answer
Maybe.  

A biteguard is made to protect your teeth from your clenching habit, if you have one.  Because it must fit between your teeth, it holds your bite open so that it can prevent the teeth from touching when you clench.  Because of this, it also adds more distance between the lips.  Some people tolerate this well (usually those with longer or larger lips).  Others do not, so many just sleep with their lips open.

If you watch football at all, you'll notice all the open lips on the players wearing mouthguards.  Often they will remove them between plays to give their mouths and lips a rest.

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO