Dentistry/Sensitive New Filling

10 days ago I got a cracked white filling re-filled in my back bottom tooth, and since then I cannot chew on the side of the filling because it hurts. It doesn't hurt when I clench my jaw, only when I try to chew. It is also sensitive to hot and cold. I know that new fillings can be sensitive, but I am really worried because this is the only filling I've ever had any pain or sensitivity with. I've been looking online, and I've seen quite a few people saying the same thing happened to them, and they ended up having to get a root canal to get rid of the pain! I cannot afford a root canal right now. I am getting married in a month and will be off of my parent's dental insurance, which is the whole reason I wanted to get a check up while I could. I take really good care of my teeth so I knew if I needed any work done it would only be to fix old fillings, but now I'm worried if I go back and tell my dentist my filling is bothering me he will tell me I need a root canal! I don't think the filling is too high because my bite feels perfectly fine.

Dear Emily:
Your situation, unfortunately is NOT uncommon.  I am sorry to hear that you are in pain.  However, it is impossible to me to give you a diagnosis since I cannot examine you.  If you trust your dentist, go back and have the dentist look at the filling.  It can be high in lateral movement, when you slide your teeth to the side, and not necessary when you clench down.  In addition, I find that removing the filling and redoing the procedure sometimes yields a positive result.
However, if you do not trust your dentist, go to and look up a prosthodontist, which is the dentist who is the expert in restorative dentistry and in evaluating your bite.  Have an expert look at the work that your dentist performed, and this is the best advice that I can give you since I cannot evaluate your situation or the the work done for you.  Going to a local Prosthodontist is the best thing.
I wish you luck and best wishes for your wedding,  

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.