Dentistry/Sinus infection (Tooth)

I went to my ENT complaining of awful Post Masal Drip that doesnt stop. Pressure in right forehead. Also went to Er earlier this year, did the MRI, Cat Scan of Brain, everything good. Now, went to ENT, took a CT of the sinuses, and this is what they wrote. There is bony erosive change and bony expansion into the maxilla and root of the molar. Associated soft tissue surrounding the molar. Findings may represent odontogenic abscess. Sending me to a oral surgeon for evaluation. I have chronic Sinusitis for years, but lately worse than ever. NO pain in molar, no other Symptoms .. Is something like this related, and does a good tooth need to be extracted if that the case???

Art - I cannot be sure without examining you and viewing an xray, but from you description is does sound like an abscessed tooth.  A tooth can be infected a long time and often, until the infection is blocked by something and the internal pressure from the infection cannot be released the tooth may not be uncomfortable.  With the ends of the roots of the upper molars in or very near the sinus, drainage from upper teeth, with the roots near the sinus, So it can continue to drain without building up pressure due to the drainage into the sinus (a large space to handle infected substances).  So your chronic sinusitis could possibly be due to infection from the molar draining into the sinus.  If one tooth is causing this problem, it might be saved from root canal treatment.  So it is important to see the surgeon, but maybe a root canal specialist (endodontist) can save the tooth.

If you have additional questions, feel free to contact me again.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude