Dentistry/Tooth Pain #18

QUESTION: Good Evening,

I recently went to Dental because I was having pain on number 18. The doc took a bite wing and a PA of that tooth. He said he didn't see any decay, but he noticed I had an occlusal composite filling. So 7 days ago, he removed the composite and place an amalgam filling in it. It's been a week and I am still experiencing pain to cold and it lingers. Being that the Doc said he didn't see no suspicious shades by my pulp on the radiograph, should I be concerned? He placed a base using Vitra bond and titan amalgam. Any suggestions would be great.

ANSWER: it sounds like the dentist is doing good things. he is going slowly and trying simple things first. he removed the resin and placed a base in and then a permanent filling. your pain is still there. i would now recheck the occlusion or the bite and make sure it is perfect. if still sensitive, i would then use a bite stick to check for internal cracks. the tooth could need a crown if this is found to be the case. the last resort could be a root canal. but i like that this dentist is going slowly and trying the easiest cure first. try these ideas next. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

QUESTION: They used a tooth sloth and it did not detect a fracture. It only hurts when I chew on it and hot/cold. Is this tooth gonna need a pulpectomy?

the tooth sleuth is used to detect did not hurt when you released so that means there is not a crack present (or a very small one if any). i would now have the bite checked. perhaps it needs some adjustment. after that i would see if it is improving at all. if it is a nerve thing, the symptoms usually steadily get worse. if you notice improvement, even if it is slight, then i would hold off and take things one day at a week at a time. if pain persists or gets worse, then you will need the nerve checked out. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.