Dentistry/Upper incisors overlapping

Front Teeth
Front Teeth  
Hi there Dr. Kaufman,

My name is Rachel, I am 26 years old and never had braces. I have overlapping teeth that have been bothering me. I wanted to know if there was a particular name for this position of the teeth besides just over crowding. The two upper front teeth are in front and the upper lateral incisors are slightly tucked behind them and overlapping behind the front teeth. The two upper canines look like they are pushed forwards because of the incisors that are pushed back. I am attaching an image that I hope can show you what I'm trying to describe here.

Please tell me what this condition would  be called and what cosmetic dental procedure can be done besides braces, I cannot afford the time it takes and do not want to have them at 26.

Could laminates/veneers help me to obtain a better looking smile?  I could get 4-6 done just to my upper teeth if it would give me a better looking smile. I'm even subconscious when I speak...

Thank you for your time.

Shalom Rachel:
I looked at the photo you have attached, I do understand your concern, and I deal with such concerns on a daily basis. However, at this time, the only appropriate dental treatment for your condition, which is called crowding, is orthodontics. Any other treatment, such as veneers or crowns, will be much more costly and will cause irreparable damage to your teeth.
Unfortunately, any dental work needs to be revised over the years. Even the best crowns and veneers can last only a certain period of time, after which they will have to be redone, and sometimes with a much more extensive procedure and an increased cost.
In addition, in your case, in order to make the teeth look straight, the dentist will have to reduce (shave, or cut down) lots of tooth structure, resulting in the necessity to devitilize some of your teeth and have root canal them.  In essence, you will be "killing" your teeth for the sake of a temporary fix.  
I see people like you on a daily basis, who need my services as an expert and require very expensive dentistry to fix the existing work in their mouths, and wish that they never touched their teeth in the first place.
Please DO NOT make that mistake.
Go to a reputable orthodontist and look into treatment with Invisalign or another orthodontic method.  In Israel, they have developed new methods of accelerated orthodontics and you should check them out.
Please DO NOT do anything but orthodontics to your teeth.
Best wishes, בהצלחה

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.