Dentistry/should I change my dentist

I have been going to the same dentist for about 35 years, during that time my husband and I have had numerous return visits for a piece of tooth cracking off or crown/caps slipping/popping off. I have spent a lot of money on the same teeth----multiple fillings, later root canal, later crown.I thought it was just bad luck---but now I found out that two of my nieces also went  to the same dentist long term. In the past year they have both experienced extreme tooth pain after continuing treatments and decided to check out another dentist. One girl was found to have large infection in the roots of a tooth that had a recent root canal; the other niece was told she had an actual hole through a tooth down to an exposed root. PLUS x-rays showed she had an actual tip of a dental instrument inside a healed gum. As I write this, I think I am answering my own question---but would still like your opinion----is it time for me to find a new dentist??

Hi Ellen,

If you do not feel comfortable with your dentist, then yes, you should find a new dentist.

With that being said....
I am not one for dentists that put down other dentists. Yes, if things aren't correct they need to be pointed out and rectified, but sometimes; procedures don't go as planned, even with the best dentist treating you. Dentistry is all about the minutia. It's always easy to say that someone else would have done this better or differently. However, unless they were there when the procedure was performed, it is better for them not to say anything.

Just my $0.0002

Let me know if you need anything else.

Benjamin Schwartz, DDS FAGD

I can answer a range of questions in dentistry, ranging from cosmetic dentistry, fillings, root canals, and comprehensive treatment. Specifically, my fields of interest are in CEREC technology, Invisalign (Invisable braces), and Endodontics (root canals).

Full time practicing dentist in New York City, treating all phases of adult dental needs. Specific focus on Invisalign cases, Endodontic (root canal) treatment, and CEREC single visit restorations.

Schwartz Benjamin, Boczko Fae, McKeon S. Oral Care For The Elderly. Perspectives in Gerontology December 2006

New York University College of Dentistry - D.D.S.
Woodhull Medical Center, 1 year post-graduate residency program - GPR