Dentistry/Core Buildup Treatment

Question
I recently underwent a root canal on a back molar (#2) at an emergency dentist, and indicated that I wanted my regular dentist to handle the subsequent crown prior to the procedure being performed.  In looking over my insurance claims, I noted that both the emergency dentist and my regular dentist listed performing a core buildup with pins.  
I am wondering if it is typical for this procedure to be performed twice.

Answer
Hi Melissa,

No it is not. in fact, it would be quite difficult to even do it, since a buildup is actually a filling that replaces the missing tooth structure. Unless something happened to the buildup in between dentists, like biting down and breaking it, one of the two is not reporting correctly to your insurance company. The problem is knowing which is honest and which is not so...

Hope this helps.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD