Dentistry/Lumps in tongue

Question
I'm 18 years old, female, a non-smoker and only drink very occasionally.
A month ago, after a bad dose of ulcer on my tongue, I was checking my tongue when I felt a small,hard, pea-sized lump in my tongue, about 3-4 cm away from the tip to the right of the tongue. The lump can only be felt if I pinch my tongue.
I went to the doctor last week and was prescribed flagyl 400mg for one week but the course of antibiotics is up and there is no improvement. I now have another lump, the exact same as the first on the left.
I'm in general good health and have no medical conditions but I am really concerned that this might be cancer and so any advice would be hugely appreciated.. The worry this is causing me is immense.
Thank you

Answer
Dear Leanne:
I know that you are worried, and I'm sorry that you had to await my reply.  I am not always able to answer during the work week right away.
However, from your description, you probably have nothing to worry about.
Oral cancer looks like red irregular circle with white borders, or iregular white circles with red borders.  They are typically lesions which do not heal and remain there for lengthy period of time.
What you are describing might be just different consistency of the tongue muscle.
Nonetheless, since I can not examine you, I can only offer you an educated guess.
The best thing to do is to go and see an oral surgeon and have your tongue looked at.
Www.aaoms.org will have a link qualified oral surgeon near you, or just ask your dentist for a referral.  Taking anti fungal medication without a diagnosis is not prudent.
Do not worry.  Just go see an expert.
Best of luck,

Dentistry

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.