Dentistry/13 shots of novicaine every 20 minutes

Question
Why is it that every time that I have a root canal or a tooth extracted I wind up having over 13 shots of novocaine every 20 minutes or more. I still feel the pain. Why is that happening? I have to have an emergency extraction of tooth #5 on monday 3/10/2014 , they said that I broke the molar to the bone
and they are giving me local anesthetic only. What should I do??? Please help!

Answer
Hi Stacy,

I roamed around the internet a little and just put the search word "Novocaine" into Google.  Apparently Doctors stop using Novocaine on their patients about 30 years ago.  But the word "Novocaine" is still widely used as a generic term to mean pain relief or numbing of the gums for dental procedures.  Your dentist is probably using something else.

I did not find any reliable information on what constitutes the usage of too much "Novocaine."  But 13 shots every 20 minutes or more???  That sounds like a lot.  Perhaps that large amount is being used to mask a troubled attempt at extracting a tooth.  Just like with any medication, it is not necessarily, the more, the merrier.

When I respond to patients on AllExperts.com, how come the second opinion, or try another dentist never occurs to anybody?

You probably already had the emergency extraction of your tooth.  Going forward, you can go for a second opinion or have another dentist to do the work.

Hope your root canal went ok.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble