Dentistry/cracked root

Question
Are there any other choices besides extraction of a root canaled, gold crowned, top, last molar?  I discovered a little pocket of pus that drained and returned twice over the last couple of months.  The dentist X-rayed and said there was some bone-loss and he didn't think the tooth was stable enough to just remove that root. It doesn't seem unstable to me, at this point.  I do clinch and grind at night, and am now in the process of getting a night guard.  Regret now my delay on that!  I'm not only unhappy about the thought of extraction, but have been told that there won't be a way of replacing that tooth structure. I've spent so much money, time, and misery by having braces, fillings, then refilling, crowns, and root canals that I can not believe I am facing the possibility of loosing this tooth! I'm also wondering if a round of antibiotics would help, and if the infection cleared, would the bone regenerate at all? I'm feeling desperate, so any additional advice will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time and effort. Towana

Answer
Hi Towana,

The first order of priority is always to prevent infection.

I would ask your dentist about your suggestion regarding antibiotics. Hopefully he or she can use good judgement, in selecting the right antibiotics for you to treat the infection.

You also mentioned that you are in the process of getting a night guard.  Maybe it has been your nighttime grinding that has been aggravating that last molar?  Why not wait before extracting that tooth and see if wearing the night guard for a month or two helps any?

It is also a good idea to get a second opinion.  A second opinion does not automatically assume you are unhappy with your original dentist, but rather provides another set of eyes to look at your mouth.

Good luck and let me know how you turn out!

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View  

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble