Dentistry/dental bridge

Question
"hello dr joel,

I have a dead tooth in my mouth and where I live they don't do implant cuz its not a civilized country...they only do bridges....am scared to do the dental bridge cuz of having to cut down the 2 adjacent teeth to attach the bridge therefore I have to sacrifice 2 healthy teeth to replace one and I donít want to weaken the 2 teeth and have decays under the crowns and suffer in the long run from more tooth damage and financial costs for fixing my teeth ?
what happens if I keep the dead tooth and leave it alone ? do u advice me with the dental bridge although havig to compromise 2 healthy two teeth or just leave the dead tooth alone ?

thx

Answer
lama - the problem with leaving the dead tooth is secondary infection can develop and then only a root canal treatment can be performed, as long as there enough healthy tooth structure left.  If not, get it extracted.

If the tooth cannot be properly fixed, have it extracted and have the 3 unit bridge made.  If done by a skilled dentist it is a restoration that can last a lifetime without any problems, as long as you brush and floss your teeth.  

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired