Dentistry/root canal vs extraction

Question
QUESTION: hello dr jonathan,

I have a dead tooth in my mouth and where I live they  don't do implant cuz its not a civilized country...they only do bridges....am scared to do the dental bridge cuz of having to cut down  the 2 adjacent teeth to attach the bridge therefore I have to sacrifice 2 healthy teeth to replace one and I donít want to weaken the 2 teeth and have decays under the crowns and suffer in the long run from more tooth damage and financial costs for fixing my teeth ?
what happens if I keep the dead tooth and leave it alone ? do u advice  me with the dental bridge although havig to compromise 2 healthy two teeth or just leave the dead tooth alone ?

thanks

ANSWER: Hello,

First, things, first.  I am NOT a Doctor.  No need to refer to me as a doctor.  I simply provide a "Patient Point of View."

Second, I have never been to Dubai, but from what I've heard, it's a very progressive cosmopolitan metropolis.  So I find it hard to believe that there is not someone there that can do an implant.

I believe that the first priority is to maintain the health of your teeth and gums and to prevent infection.  You can't just leave a dead tooth in your mouth and think that is ok.  You have to have a dentist, address that issue and take the dead tooth away, sooner than later.

If it were me, I would double down my efforts, and look a little harder to find a board certified dentist in Dubai, that can do the implant.  The description that you provide about a bridge and the filing down of adjacent teeth scares me.  I never advocate the defacing of your original natural born teeth.

Please let me know how you turn out.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

QUESTION: dear jonathan,

I found a dentist who said that he can do a root canal on the bad tooth but success rate would be 40 percent only ...he prefers to pull out the tooth cuz the tooth is bad and infected but he left for me the decision to make whether to go for  root canal or to pull out the tooth...do u advice on a root canal if the success rate is only 40 percent?

thx
lama

Answer
Lama,

It sounds like your dentist is saying he prefers to pull the tooth versus doing the root canal.....and the root canal option is only 40% success rate.

If it were me.....I would probably have my tooth pulled.

Your number one priority should always be to treat the infection.  It sounds like your dentist is providing good guidance.

Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble