Dentistry/dental bridge

Question
"hello dr lawrence,

I have a dead tooth in my mouth and where I live they don't do implant cuz its not a civilized country...they only do bridges....am scared to do the dental bridge cuz of having to cut down the 2 adjacent teeth to attach the bridge therefore I have to sacrifice 2 healthy teeth to replace one and I donít want to weaken the 2 teeth and have decays under the crowns and suffer in the long run from more tooth damage and financial costs for fixing my teeth ?
what happens if I keep the dead tooth and leave it alone ? do u advice me with the dental bridge although havig to compromise 2 healthy two teeth or just leave the dead tooth alone ?

thx

Answer
If your "dead" tooth is restorable, then it can have a root canal and a post and a crown. Leaving it alone is not a good option.  If there is not sufficient tooth structure remaining, a fixed bridge can be a good option, as long as the teeth adjacent to the space are prepared correctly and a well fitted bridge is made. Implant restorations are nice, but they are not the only good option in a situation where the teeth on either side of the space are good candidates for becoming bridge abutments.

Dentistry

Lawrence Spindel DDS, www.lspindeldds.com