Dentistry/Dental Implant moves and hurts to eat

I had a dental implant put in about 1 and 1/2 years ago.  Waited 6 months for the crown.  Has always hurt to chew hard foods.  Was getting "zingers" and my regular dentist adjusted my bite.  The zingers went away but felt like my tooth was too tall.  Went back in 6 months and my regular dentist adjusted my bite again.  Suggested I go back and see the dentist who put in the implant. I did. He tried to remove the crown to look underneath but although the screw was removed completely, no amount of pulling would release the crown.  Now he wants me to come back so he can numb and sedate me, remove the old implant and insert a new, larger one.  Why won't the crown come off.  He says he has never seen this happen before.  I am scared.  Is this a rare occurrence?  Should I get a second opinion?

Rita - without examining the implant and crown, it is a little difficult.  The dentist who put in the screw may have over tightened and changed the metal screw.  It may not be line up between the screws and it changed the internal metal shape so it will not unscrew.  

This is rare and if he cannot remove it and just wants to remove the implant, get a second opinion from a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon.  I hope it is nothing and can be separated.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude