Dentistry/Infected teeth

Question
Mouth
Mouth  
QUESTION: Hi
7 years ago i was being treated for my infected tooth and was having a root canal treatment but in 2009 one of the orthodontists broke my tooth by accident and covered the part remaining with a temporary tooth. So a part of the tooth is still remaining. They said when i turn 17 they would take it out and replace it ( it was meant to fall out by then but its still on - i'm 18 now) Since then i haven't been treated, last year around December, an abscess grew on top of the left tooth which is infected, i had gone back to the dentist who gave me a course of antibiotics. I went back again to the dentist as i was in a lot of pain so he tried draining out the abscess, it went slightly down however its still there. He also said the infection has spreaded and now its beyond him to treat it so I need specialists to treat it. However may appointment is now in May. Im in a lot of pain and discomfort for a long time now, my general health has been really bad recently too. i've been having really bad breathing difficulties especially at night and really bad headaches, i'm loosing a lot of weight and i'm not eating like usual, i don't like eating anymore.

I had an MRI brain scan because of the issues i was having ( this year february), this wasnt due to my tooth as at the time, my tooth pain wasnt bad, it was more due to headaches and blurry vision however it was clear and my mouth when i saw inside was, well really bad.

is there a possible link of reduced eyesight due to root canal infection leaving untreated for 5 years? as my left tooth was infected and my left eyesight was going (now very poor) and now my right tooth is infected and right eyesight has reduced?

The past few days i've been feeling even worse. The right front tooth has been very painful - I'm assuming when the dentist said the infection has spreaded it is gone to this tooth too since its very sore. My right jaw has begun to be painful, find it hard to sallow without water and it feels like theres something stuck in my throat when i swallow without food or water too. My eye sight (left) was weak, and now it has gone worse. My right eye has gone weak which was fine before. The roof of my mouth is a light yellow/pale pink colour in the middle. My face burns, tingles and twitches its really painful, its goes numb too. especially my left side. Today i saw a pus fulled ulcer like spot on my tonsils which are really inflamed, not painful or sore, just difficulty swallowing, brown dots have appeared on my tongue. Im having stabbing pains behind my tonsils, near to the back of my throat. I think the pain is gradually getting worse. My head felt numb, when i sleep on my left side or even lay down, the left side (left front tooth is infected) my face goes puffy but i regain my position as im scared it will swell. Cheekbones and jaw have been quite a pain especially when eating. i have a deep pain right at the back of my throat going down- like in my windpipe you could say.

Please could you give advice or feedback as the doctors appointment is a whole month away. and the dentists as you know cant treat me and the specialists appointment is really too far for me. what is your advice? Please suggest whatever you can. I also developed small red and pink type dots(tiny patches/dots) around my arms and face, they aren't painful or itchy but im assuming its due to my tooth infection, i've had the for around 5 years as i have no other health problems that i know of and it was around the time my tooth was infected? The abscess above the infected tooth has been there since December 2013.The ulcer on my tonsils (if its is an ulcer) i noticed today but there has been shooting pains there for a while so im not sure if it was present before or not. the one on my tonsils- the pain is radiating to my right ear- like a burning prickly feeling.

If you could email me back, i can send more pictures of my teeth and mouth if necessary.

Thank you for you time!

P.S my dentist has given me antibiotics, neither have been helping- since june 2013. Now after several requests to the dentist hospital, they have finally called me back in May. My own dentist said its beyond him to treat my tooth now and if i do go back the most he can do is drain the abscess which he already did but did little affect. However if this is urgent, and im feeling weaker and weaker everyday- should i go to a private dentist?

ANSWER: Hi Alia

I am sorry for all the mouth problems you have been having.

Before I even get started, I would like to know about that tooth that was accidentally broken by the orthodontist....was that tooth an adult tooth??  Why wait until you are 17 to do something about it or replace it?  I read your initial paragraph several times to try and make sense out of it.  Something in that story does not make sense to me.

Next thought and I am very thorough in reading these things....you accidentally left me a clue when you said "one of the orthodontists".  Why plural?  Usually one orthodontist handles a patient from start to finish.  How many orthodontists were working on you?  

Now that I am finished playing detective here comes my "Patient Point of View" advice.

The first order of business is to get your infections under control.  You mention dentists a lot in your letter, but nothing about Doctors.  Most dentists are not MD's. There are some dentists that are MD's but the majority are not. So just because there is a "Dr." in front of their name does not mean they are a "real" doctor of medicine.  Your infections that are spreading everywhere are now part of a larger issue.

Your battle with infections has gone on way too long.  Before a meeting with another dentist....go see a Board Certified "MD."  It sounds like you have way more going on there all over your head, not just your mouth.

After your doctor's visit (and hopefully there will be some follow-up appointments to monitor you), then see a board certified dentist to deal with your teeth, root canals or whatever.

Your letter sounded like dentists either delayed real treatment or put you off with bandaid fixes.  Waiting years for an adult tooth to fall out or not aggressively treating infections is just a waste of time.  

Keep me posted  on how you are doing.

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point  of View

QUESTION: Yes, it was an adult tooth which was been treated since 2007-2009. They said it was my last appointment that day, so i had a student orthodontist dealing with it. I was 5 minutes late for my appointment due to traffic and she became angry and said, well im only doing this for 20 minutes, she ws really harsh and aggressive with my treatment and end up breaking it. When broken, she panicked and called her senior and said it ws bound to happen althought my treatment had finished and it was the last day- as they said.

That is why i said, one of the orthodontists, as every few months i would have someone else treating me.

I have gone to the doctors, again yesterday i called them for an appointment as i was in pain and said you need to go to your dentist as its dental. Then i went to my dentist and said you need to go to the GP so it was just going in circles. Now i'm looking for private treatment and doctors appointment is made.

Would you know where I can find an MD?

Yes the Orthdontists then for less than a year were fitting in a temporary tooth which was meant to fall out when i was 17/18. For many months i was toothless.  They left the remaining tooth inside. After this they took me off the list and never gave me appointments again, clearly the were in fault and didn't want to be held responsible.. After this i was absolutely terrified and carried on with my pain for many years. As you can imagine i was a child and grew up with this trauma. Ofcourse i would never trust a dentist again.At the time when my treatment was going, i told them the tooth next to the infected one is painful but they said for now were treating this. We couldnt get private treatment as consultants were talking 1000. Now we can so we will get private. My dentist has been sending requests for a year to the dental hospital however they never replied, around this february they he did- he asked permission to do it himself and then they replied and sent a letter. Which is in may. All im on is antibiotics which isn't exactly helping.

I know have 2 ulcers on my tongue so thats new.

Thankyou for replying

Answer
Alia,

There are several ways you can find an MD.

Word of mouth or recommendation is the best way.  You can also visit the website of your insurance company.  Lots of names there.

Remember, to check if your doctors or dentists are board certified.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
Jonathan
Patient Point of View

Dentistry

Jonathan at PatientBabble