Dentistry/Infected teeth

7 years ago i was being treated for my infected tooth and was having a root canal treatment but in 2009 one of the orthodontists broke my tooth by accident and covered the part remaining with a temporary tooth. So a part of the tooth is still remaining. They said when i turn 17 they would take it out and replace it ( it was meant to fall out by then but its still on - i'm 18 now) Since then i haven't been treated, last year around December, an abscess grew on top of the left tooth which is infected, i had gone back to the dentist who gave me a course of antibiotics. I went back again to the dentist as i was in a lot of pain so he tried draining out the abscess, it went slightly down however its still there. He also said the infection has spreaded and now its beyond him to treat it so I need specialists to treat it. However may appointment is now in May. Im in a lot of pain and discomfort for a long time now, my general health has been really bad recently too. i've been having really bad breathing difficulties especially at night and really bad headaches, i'm loosing a lot of weight and i'm not eating like usual, i don't like eating anymore.

I had an MRI brain scan because of the issues i was having ( this year february), this wasnt due to my tooth as at the time, my tooth pain wasnt bad, it was more due to headaches and blurry vision however it was clear and my mouth when i saw inside was, well really bad.

is there a possible link of reduced eyesight due to root canal infection leaving untreated for 5 years? as my left tooth was infected and my left eyesight was going (now very poor) and now my right tooth is infected and right eyesight has reduced?

The past few days i've been feeling even worse. The right front tooth has been very painful - I'm assuming when the dentist said the infection has spreaded it is gone to this tooth too since its very sore. My right jaw has begun to be painful, find it hard to sallow without water and it feels like theres something stuck in my throat when i swallow without food or water too. My eye sight (left) was weak, and now it has gone worse. My right eye has gone weak which was fine before. The roof of my mouth is a light yellow/pale pink colour in the middle. My face burns, tingles and twitches its really painful, its goes numb too. especially my left side. Today i saw a pus fulled ulcer like spot on my tonsils which are really inflamed, not painful or sore, just difficulty swallowing, brown dots have appeared on my tongue. Im having stabbing pains behind my tonsils, near to the back of my throat. I think the pain is gradually getting worse. My head felt numb, when i sleep on my left side or even lay down, the left side (left front tooth is infected) my face goes puffy but i regain my position as im scared it will swell. Cheekbones and jaw have been quite a pain especially when eating. i have a deep pain right at the back of my throat going down- like in my windpipe you could say.

Please could you give advice or feedback as the doctors appointment is a whole month away. and the dentists as you know cant treat me and the specialists appointment is really too far for me. what is your advice? Please suggest whatever you can. I also developed small red and pink type dots(tiny patches/dots) around my arms and face, they aren't painful or itchy but im assuming its due to my tooth infection, i've had the for around 5 years as i have no other health problems that i know of and it was around the time my tooth was infected? The abscess above the infected tooth has been there since December 2013.The ulcer on my tonsils (if its is an ulcer) i noticed today but there has been shooting pains there for a while so im not sure if it was present before or not. the one on my tonsils- the pain is radiating to my right ear- like a burning prickly feeling.

If you could email me back, i can send more pictures of my teeth and mouth if necessary.

Thank you for you time!

P.S my dentist has given me antibiotics, neither have been helping- since june 2013. Now after several requests to the dentist hospital, they have finally called me back in May. My own dentist said its beyond him to treat my tooth now and if i do go back the most he can do is drain the abscess which he already did but did little affect. However if this is urgent, and im feeling weaker and weaker everyday- should i go to a private dentist?

I am sorry for all the mouth problems you have been having.

Before I even get started, I would like to know about that tooth that was accidentally broken by the orthodontist....was that tooth an adult tooth??  Why wait until you are 17 to do something about it or replace it?  I read your initial paragraph several times to try and make sense out of it.  Something in that story does not make sense to me.

Next thought and I am very thorough in reading these accidentally left me a clue when you said "one of the orthodontists".  Why plural?  Usually one orthodontist handles a patient from start to finish.  How many orthodontists were working on you?  

Now that I am finished playing detective here comes my "Patient Point of View" advice.

The first order of business is to get your infections under control.  You mention dentists a lot in your letter, but nothing about Doctors.  Most dentists are not MD's. There are some dentists that are MD's but the majority are not. So just because there is a "Dr." in front of their name does not mean they are a "real" doctor of medicine.  Your infections that are spreading everywhere are now part of a larger issue.

Your battle with infections has gone on way too long.  Before a meeting with another dentist....go see a Board Certified "MD."  It sounds like you have way more going on there all over your head, not just your mouth.

After your doctor's visit (and hopefully there will be some follow-up appointments to monitor you), then see a board certified dentist to deal with your teeth, root canals or whatever.

Your letter sounded like dentists either delayed real treatment or put you off with bandaid fixes.  Waiting years for an adult tooth to fall out or not aggressively treating infections is just a waste of time.  

Keep me posted  on how you are doing.

Best Regards,
Patient Point  of View

QUESTION: Yes, it was an adult tooth which was been treated since 2007-2009. They said it was my last appointment that day, so i had a student orthodontist dealing with it. I was 5 minutes late for my appointment due to traffic and she became angry and said, well im only doing this for 20 minutes, she ws really harsh and aggressive with my treatment and end up breaking it. When broken, she panicked and called her senior and said it ws bound to happen althought my treatment had finished and it was the last day- as they said.

That is why i said, one of the orthodontists, as every few months i would have someone else treating me.

I have gone to the doctors, again yesterday i called them for an appointment as i was in pain and said you need to go to your dentist as its dental. Then i went to my dentist and said you need to go to the GP so it was just going in circles. Now i'm looking for private treatment and doctors appointment is made.

Would you know where I can find an MD?

Yes the Orthdontists then for less than a year were fitting in a temporary tooth which was meant to fall out when i was 17/18. For many months i was toothless.  They left the remaining tooth inside. After this they took me off the list and never gave me appointments again, clearly the were in fault and didn't want to be held responsible.. After this i was absolutely terrified and carried on with my pain for many years. As you can imagine i was a child and grew up with this trauma. Ofcourse i would never trust a dentist again.At the time when my treatment was going, i told them the tooth next to the infected one is painful but they said for now were treating this. We couldnt get private treatment as consultants were talking 1000. Now we can so we will get private. My dentist has been sending requests for a year to the dental hospital however they never replied, around this february they he did- he asked permission to do it himself and then they replied and sent a letter. Which is in may. All im on is antibiotics which isn't exactly helping.

I know have 2 ulcers on my tongue so thats new.

Thankyou for replying

There are several ways you can find an MD.

Word of mouth or recommendation is the best way.  You can also visit the website of your insurance company.  Lots of names there.

Remember, to check if your doctors or dentists are board certified.

Good luck!

Best Regards,
Patient Point of View

Jonathan at PatientBabble

My area of expertise from the patients point of view would be TMJ plus the speech challenges that these jaw and bite problems sometimes represent. Over the years I have seen a multitude of dentists, orthodontists, oral surgeons, speech therapists, neurologists and other health professionals who all had an opinion about my bite problem. I am not a doctor, but would purely be a patients point of view type person. I "get it" when people say they tried to explain to their dentist what their bite problem is and that they are misunderstood. I can listen to people's trials and tribulations and there is a good chance I have been down that road before. I can make suggestions as to what people can do at home, or what questions to ask their doctor or dentist when they visit. ////// I come from a family of dentists. My first house growing up was one of those residential/dentist combination homes and I was around the dental practice all the time. My teeth had always been perfect, and in many respects they still are. I have never had a cavity and my teeth are straight. About 25 years ago, I had my wisdom teeth out and since then my bite has never felt "normal." I have learned a lot over the years as I tried to figure out my problem from the Dentists, Speech Pathologists and assorted doctors that I have visited. I will try and recall information or experiences that may be helpful to you.

Twenty-Five years ago after my wisdom teeth were removed, my bite did not feel right and then had trouble speaking. For whatever reason, the first sensation I remember was not that my bite was off.....but rather that my normal tongue and speech patterns had been impeded. The years of searching for proper treatment has underscored the importance of understanding the relationship between dental and speech methodologies.///// To this end, and to further my research, I recently attended the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Convention (ASHA) in Atlanta. At ASHA I learned about a specialty within Speech Pathology termed “Orofacial Myology”. In laymen's terms Orofacial Myology Disorder (OMD) deals with the establishment of correct functional activities of the tongue, lips and jaw. OMD is a motor speech disorder that impacts the normal flow of speech, chewing or swallowing.///// If you believe that your struggles with your teeth also present speech, chewing or swallowing challenges, you may want to seek out a licensed Speech Language Pathologist.....preferably one that has training with Orofacial Myology Disorder.

Project Management Institute

Abridged Version of a Letter I Sent to a Health Care Professional (3/14/13): "..In my early 20's I had my wisdom teeth out. Almost immediately within a few days, something did not feel right in my mouth. I had trouble speaking. When I raised my tongue to try and touch my palate, I felt mostly just teeth. It is very cumbersome to talk and my bite also became a little bit off. If feels almost as if someone put a fork in my mouth and said "now try and speak." Very difficult. My articulation is fine, so to an observer I sound normal. But it takes a monumental effort, so I hate situations like talking on the phone or when somebody asks me to "tell them a story." ..I spent years going to different dentists, who lumped me into their generic version of what they knew about TMJ. They just automatically gravitate to what they have heard about TMJ and assume I am either stressed, or just imagining it. Years later, I look back at all those dentists and doctors and I am amazed at how little they really knew about my condition. I have seen the best dentists, including my dad who is a Orthodontist in New York, to TMJ Dentists in Atlanta and Florida. No one ever suggested that Speech Pathology may be a direction I should explore. ..And I was frustrated by the fact that several MRI's over the years, showed nothing. How could the MRI’s show nothing, and at the same time, I know something does not feel right? I do wear a night guard to sleep in, but it does not fix the trouble that I have when I try to talk. ..I went with a Speech Pathologist friend of mine to the American Speech Language Hearing (ASHA) Convention last October in Atlanta...There was a Speech Pathologist at ASHA who was saying that sometimes when you have your Wisdom Teeth taken out "late" that it could possibly cause damage to the Trigeminal Nerve and surrounding muscles.” POSTSCRIPT: At ASHA, I discovered OROFACIAL MYOLOGY (OMD) which is a specialty in Speech Pathology that addresses Oral Muscular Issues.

College Graduate with Bachelor of Arts Degree, Project Management Professional, Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist