Dentistry/internal reabsorption

Question
QUESTION: HI,  I have a 13 year old daughter with internal reabsorption of her front tooth.   She has been followed very closely by an Endodontist.  Just recently her tooth has started to bother her with very cold drinks.  her tooth is slightly pink on the back side as well.   She of course is not eligible for an implant until she is 17+.   I just am at a loss,  just curious what you would recommend for her.  I am so upset for her,  it is her front tooth.  

Thanks so much,

Lynn

ANSWER: Hi Lynn....

Before I try to help here, when you say the endodontist is following her. What sort of treatment is he/she doing? How often is your daughter checked? Are you sure her cold sensitivity is coming from the pink tooth? (you can check that by touching several of her front teeth with a silver of ice)

In general, internal resorption can often be controlled if it hasn't progressed too far. Without being able to see x-rays or exam your daughter, that's a tough call for me to make.

I'll get right back to you after you fill in some of the details.

Best regards,

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

QUESTION: We hv been seeing the endodontist q 3 months.  At first she thought she would do a root canal..  The sensitivity is definitely coming from that front tooth that is pink on underside...  We hv had several scans,  ct,  and 3d... Now the dr thinks tooth will need to be removed and repaired then reinserted,  hopefully..  Just so worried it will not work... We hv had impressions made in case the tooth doesn't come out in one piece so that a flipper can be made..  On the back side of that front tooth she had a small fissure with a little puss coming out of it.  That is what prompted us doing something rather than nothing.

Lynn

Answer
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for the extra information. It sounds like the resorption is on the outside of the tooth, external resorption, and these are VERY difficult to deal with. The problem is that there is a defect in the tooth and the gum can't attach in the defect, so even if the resorption can be stopped, it creates a gum problem. As tragic as it is, extraction is often the best solution, especially if the tooth is beyond repair.

I can understand your concern for your daughter....it's a terrible thing to go through but in the end, your daughter will be better off than living with this untreatable situation.

Best of luck to you & your daughter.

Gary Backlund DMD, MSD

Dentistry

Gary Backlund, DMD, MSD