Dentistry/new products to fill gum recession

Dear Dr. Finnk -- I read your solutions to covering up gum recession from 2011.  My four, upper, front teeth have a significant amount of gum recession from brushing.  I use the softest brushes and tried not to brush the area which my dentist said will make the recession worse.  So, in my mind the only solution is to paint some "gum-colored" pink on the exposed area of tooth.  What is the latest product for this and, is there a dentist in the Sarasota/Bradenton area of Florida who can do this for me?  Also, I have very little money.
Thank you so much,

Dear Cindy,

I have tried materials that are "gum colored" and I have not had much success with them.  Generally, there is too much tooth color show-through, and the gum color darkens after it is bonded to the teeth.  I stopped using this material.

A better solution, and one that will reverse your gum recession, is called gingival grafting.  Gum tissue is taken, usually from your palate, and is placed over your exposed roots.  This procedure has been performed for over 20 years, and the techniques today provide about a 90% success rate.  For this, you would want to contact a Periodontist in your area.  Ask your dentist for a referral to a periodontist that he trusts.

If you have a problem finding a Periodontist that you like, let me know and I will ask some of my Periodontists here if they know anyone there.

Good luck.  And let me know how you turn out.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.