Dentistry/root canal treatment

Is there a more advanced way to treat root canal problem rather than the usual method of inserting a long,thin needle into the cavity which is very painful.

Eugene - That question has been asked and addressed for many years.  There have been advances in technique, but the overall technique is the same.  Remove the infected, damaged or dead tissue within the nerve canal and place medications within the canal to kill any residual bacteria or living tissue within the tooth.  The canal is then filled with an inert material.

That is the technique that has always been used and still is today.  Once the nerve tissue is damaged, there is no way to restore it and the vitality of the tooth.  If it could be developed to restore life within the tooth, that would change the endodontic specialty and dentistry in general.

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired

I am a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon and I am available to answer questions related to tooth extractions, implant insertion, facial recontruction, facial and oral tumor removal, TMJ dysfunction and various successful treatments, including surgery if all else fails, and occlusal discrepancy requiring orthognathic or jaw surgery.

Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon practicine for over 20 years. Assistant Clincal Professor and State University School of Dentistry.

American Dental Association, American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons, American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons

BA -University of Connecticut DMD - University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine

National Honor Society (OKU), Philadelphia County Dental Society, Mosby Book Award, Oral Surgery Honors, Summa Cum Laude