Dentistry/root canal treatment

Question
Is there a more advanced way to treat root canal problem rather than the usual method of inserting a long,thin needle into the cavity which is very painful.

Answer
Eugene - That question has been asked and addressed for many years.  There have been advances in technique, but the overall technique is the same.  Remove the infected, damaged or dead tissue within the nerve canal and place medications within the canal to kill any residual bacteria or living tissue within the tooth.  The canal is then filled with an inert material.

That is the technique that has always been used and still is today.  Once the nerve tissue is damaged, there is no way to restore it and the vitality of the tooth.  If it could be developed to restore life within the tooth, that would change the endodontic specialty and dentistry in general.

Dentistry

Joel S. Teig, DMD, Diplomate ABOMS, retired