Dentistry/Tooth has fallen out of partial twice

My husband has a partial that is approximately 7 years old. It still fits well and his dentist checks it's fit every six months when he goes in for his cleanings. The first week of Jan. the eye tooth, which is an edge tooth of the partial, fell out. Thankfully it came loose cleanly and his dentist was able to reattach it. Today the same tooth fell out again. Is this common for partials after a certain length of time? At $275 a pop to have the tooth reattached and the repair lasting under 2 months, I'm wondering if it might be wiser to just spring for a new one.

Dear Connie:
If, as you say, the denture still fits well and is functional,a repair is very prudent.  Unfortunately, only your dentist can advise you what is better since he can evaluate the condition of your husband's teeth and the condition of the denture.
You might want to have the dentist take away the denture for a few days and have it sent to a laboratory which can do a much more secure job of repairing it.  I don't know what equipment your dentist has in the office, but a laboratory repair is typically more secure.  Your dentist might take a pick up impression of the denture in your husband's mouth and index the relationship with the lower jaw first.  This will help the technician repair it.
In short, ask your dentist if it is worthwhile repairing the denture.  If it is, ask if the dentist can have a laboratory repair done.
Best of luck,

Zev Kaufman, D.D.S.

I can answer any question from simple routine dentistry to very complex dentistry with emphasis on reconstructive, cosmetic, and implant dentistry. My expertise is in co-ordination of very complex treatment plans with other dental specialists or as a one-man-team, since I have extensive training in Prosthodontics, Surgical Implantology, and orthodontics.

Over a decade in private practice of Surgical Implantology and Prosthodontics. Founder and owner of Prosthodontics & Implant Surgery of Manhattan, PC. Clinical Assistant Professor at the Post-Graduate Department of Periodontics & Implant Dentistry at New York University College of Dentistry. Lecture weekly since 1999 on advanced Implant Prosthodontics at New York University College of Dentistry Post-Graduate Program in Periodontics & Implant Dentistry. Former clinical assistant professor of Dental Radiology at the NYU College of Dentistry. Former clinical and lecture faculty at Lincoln Hospital, Dental residency program. Former clinical and lecture faculty at St. Barnabas Hospital (Bronx, NY) dental residency program. Lecture nationally on Prosthodontics and Implant Dentistry.

Memeber of the American College of Prosthodontics. Memeber of the Acacdemy of Osseointegration. Member or the Omikron Kappa Upsilon (OKU) Honors Dental Society. Member of the American Dental Education Association.

Graduated with Honors from New York University College of Dentistry. Post-Graduate training and certificate in the specialty of Prosthodontics. Post-Graduate training and ceritificate in Surgical and Prosthetic Implant Dentistry. Honors-program in Comprehensive and Applied Practice Management. Honors-program in Orthodontics.

NYU Cervice award to the community. OKU honor society. National Dean's List. National Who's Who.