Dentistry/Wisdom tooth abscess and hidradenitis suppurativa

I recently got diagnosed with hidradenitis suppurativa and had a cyst removed that came from having this disorder. One of the issues my surgeon was concerned with was if the cyst would come back after the  surgery. About a year before that surgery I somewhat similar dental work done with multiple cyst removals in relation to 4 wisdom teeth extractions. The dentist basically told me that the cyst or abscess where acidic and had been eating away at my jaw. After the extractions he wrote me a prescription for amoxicillin and I have to say my skin hadn't looked that good in years. It seemed like the amoxicillin had a dramatic effect on the hidradenitis, but the effects didn't last. After I was official diagnosed I wanted to hit the disorder with a amoxicillin bomb and talked my doctor into writing me a prescription for amoxicillin clavulanate. They gave me a 10 day dose of augmentin and it didn't do anything. 6 months before that another doctor wrote me a prescription for regular amoxicillin and Pepcid for the acid reflux that would come with it. It hadn't done anything. I couldn't understand why the medicine didn't work, but one thing struck my interest in relation to my wisdom tooth extraction. After the extraction one of the cavities in the back of my mouth was always holding a lot of food and it wasn't long before I noticed a sac of fluid building up at one of the extraction sites. Basically it was doing the same this my armpits do when I have a hidradenitis  outbreak. I usually wash my armpit with anti bacterial soap until those flair ups claim down. Basically I did the same thing with my mouth. I bought some tooth paste with .30% triclosan and I was basically washing my mouth out with antibacterial soap. So after the fluid sac went away, but what if that was only on the surface. Now I thinking the augmentin didn't work because some of those wisdom teeth cyst came back. I'm wondering if those cavities the dentist stitched up sealed a filled with hidradenitis associated cyst. So my questions is how do people with hidradenitis suppurativa typically heal after wisdom tooth/ abscess extractions. Basically I wanted to know if the run a higher risk of the cysts coming back do to there condition.

Dear Howie,

I have seen no information that tells me that your hidradenitis suppurativa has any affect on your gums, teeth or wisdom teeth extraction.  This does not mean that it is not true in your case.  But it is not likely.

In general, HS happens where there is hair.  And there is no hair in your gums.  There may have been cysts around your wisdom teeth, but these were likely developmental cysts that accompany impacted wisdom teeth.  These almost always fill in with bone after the wisdom teeth are removed.

The best thing to do with regard to your concern about your wisdom tooth healing is to return to your wisdom tooth surgeon about one week after the surgeries for a post-op exam and opinion.  It usually takes about 3 months for the bone to fill in where the dental cysts were.  So you might want to return then for an xray to see if the cysts are gone.  I'm assuming you are seeing a dermatologist regularly for your HS.  If not, do so.

Let me know what you find out.

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO

I am a Family, Implant and Cosmetic dentist. I will answer questions on any aspect of dentistry and matters relating to the smile, gums, jaws and lower face. Member American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, and Atlantic Coast District Dental Association. I have served as District Council Member of Alpha Omega, as well as serving for one term as its President. I am also a member of The Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, and Mount Sinai Hospital Guild. I have served as a Volunteer for Project Dental Health and The Tri-County Dental Health Council.

Having attained over 30 years of clinical experience in private practice in Michigan, in 2001 I was re-certified by taking and passing the Florida State Dental Board Examination. After moving to Florida, I spent nearly 10 years re-honing my skills while working as an Associate Dentist for several large dental groups. In September, 2004, I was appointed Adjunct Clinical Professor at Nova University's College of Dental Medicine. I am certified in placement of Mini Dental Implants, and I am Director of The Florida Implant Center ( On March 1, 2010, at the age of 62, I began all over again by buying a dental practice near my home in the Fort Lauderdale area. As sole owner and Chief Dental Officer of the new Nob Hill Dental Center (, I can now carefully provide dental care to patients who care, all within a caring, joyful environment. Over my career lifetime, I have provided thousands of diagnoses, fillings, crowns, bridges, root canals, periodontal treatments, TMJ therapies, partials, dentures and extractions, and dozens of implants for my patients. The only aspect of dentistry with which I have very little experience is orthodontics.

American Dental Association, Florida Dental Association, Broward County Dental Association, Atlantic Coast District Dental Society, Vedder Honors Society, Broward Dental Research Clinic, Alpha Omega Alumni Association, and American Association of Dental Implantologists. Formerly, American Academy of General Dentistry, Michigan Dental Association, Macomb Dental Society, Detroit District Dental Society, Tri-County Dental Health Council (a charitable dental care organization)

"How To Save Money At The Dentist" Going to press soon.

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences in Psychology from Wayne State University Doctor of Dental Surgery from University of Detroit College of Dentistry Adjunct Clinical Professor, Special Needs Department, Nova Southeastern University College of Dental Medicine, Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Membership in The Vedder Honors Society

HIPAA rules do not allow me to post this information.