Dentistry/Bone graft vs bone augmentation

Question
Hello, my Mom had her teeth taken out 8 upper to put in dentures. The dentist said she needed a bone augmentation instead of bone graft to fill the holes. The dentist insisted she needs augentation so she had procedure done.  The dentist pulled the teeth and put a powder like substance in the holes and sowed it up then gave her temp dentures until the stitches are taken out. I don't believe  he did a true augmentation. She has no implants. The diffence was in $$$$ . Was this correct procedure? I think she got ripped off.
Thank you

Answer
Dear April,

Bone augmentation is a procedure that is done to add bone height and width to a jaw that has shrunk due to extractions, age, or pressure from wearing dentures, or a combination of these.  It sounds like what her dentist did was more to preserve the height and width of her jawbone.

When teeth are extracted, the healing jaw tends to shrink in height and width by several millimeters.  For this reason, more dentists are placing freeze-dried demineralized bone into extraction sockets in an effort to preserve the jawbone that will support a denture or receive implants.  These materials come in the form of tiny beads, sponge-like fibers, or may come from other areas of the patient's body where bone may be harvested, like the chin or hip.  In rare cases a rib is removed, then reshaped to place over the jawbone, then is sutured to place.

I haven't seen your mother, nor have I heard the reason given for the procedures done.  So I cannot answer if this was the correct procedure.  All I can tell you is that it is being done in more and more dental practices over time, and it does seem to help maintain bone height and width for longer periods of time.  

Dentistry

Howard Finnk, D.D.S., P.A., CEO