Dentistry/coating in mouth/dry mouth/gum secretions

I started having what I describe as a coating feeling in my mouth and tongue.  Also very dry, especially at night as I sleep with my mouth open (better if I use nasal strips).  During the night my tongue would become so dry I would wake up and have to sip water to soak it.  I had an antifreeze leak in my truck when it first showed up so thought maybe the fumes were coating my mouth.  That is the way it feels.  But, that has been fixed and now along with the dryness/coating feeling I've started tasting secretions from my gums.  Kind of a metallic taste.  Also, the insides of my cheeks kind of swell as I tend to bite them when I eat/chew so that is how I know they are a little swollen inside. Chewing gum helps to produce saliva but eventually causes the feeling/taste even more. This is not a constant problem.  Kind of comes and goes.  I've tried eliminating different things I've started eating new recently thinking maybe an allergy to something.  The last thing I've cut out has been wheat germ. Two days now and can't say it's made a difference yet. My dental work consists of numerous caps and bridges from work many years ago (20+).  I am 58 years old.  Thank you for your time.

Dear Katy,

I'm sorry to say I am not sure what is causing the dry feeling and metallic taste in your mouth without doing an intraoral exam and reviewing your x-rays.  I would consult a local dentist who can do an intra-oral exam on you.

Good luck,

John Kong, DDS,

I am a board-certified periodontist and an expert on dental implants. I am currently in private practice at Better Living through Dentistry. I can answer questions related to the treatment of periodontitis (gum disease), dental implants, sinus lifts, bone grafts and gum grafts.

My practice focuses in the field of periodontics and dental implants. I enjoy working with dental specialists to coordinate full mouth reconstructions and cosmetic dentistry.

American Academy of Periodontology, American Board of Periodontics, American Dental Association, New York State Dental Association, Queens County Dental Association

BA - Wesleyan University, DDS - SUNY Stony Brook School of Dental Medicine, Certificate in Periodontics - University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey