Dentistry/Cracked Molar

Hello Dr. Dalin,

Its me again Karen, Thank you again for helping me before with my sealant problem. I talked to my dentist and he said that he will take them off when my appointment comes around in May. I now have a whole different problem and I was wondering if you could help me again.

About 2 weeks ago I was eating some chicken wings. I was eating a wing and not a drumstick. I was also eating in the dark. It seems that while I was eating, there was a small bone in one of the wings. Which is weird because I usually just pick the meat off the bone. I guess that since it was dark, I didn't see the small bone still left over. While I was eating I bit down on the small bone and I felt a sharp pain on one of my back molars. I kind of freaked out and stopped eating.

I checked my tooth in the mirror and it looked completely normal and I even used a flash light. I Also tried taking a picture of it to see if I broke off a piece of my tooth. I didn't see anything wrong. Then after that day, anytime I'm eating something I feel like something might be lose or just a weird sensation. I started looking around on the internet and I think I might have a cracked tooth.

I have the symptoms like I only feel a weird sensation or very very mild pain if I bite down on something a certain way. I also get a weird sensation on my cheek. I'm just hoping that I maybe sprained it or something like that, but If I did sprain it, the pain should probably be gone by now. I'm just hoping that if it is cracked that I don't need to get a crown and maybe it hasn't gone to the dentin or into the pulp. I'm guessing that if it did then it would have to be extracted. But I don't have any pain while I'm not chewing something and I have to bite down in a certain way.

My question is if it is cracked, what are my options to repair it? Will I have to get a crown or an onlay? I was hoping I could just put an metal band around it to hold it together or maybe bond the tooth with composite? I know you can't really diagnose it because you can't see the tooth I just want to know my options base on how severe the crack is, if any.

I don't know, I'm just so mad at myself for not noticing that bone before I bit into it. I'm just worried that I will lose a healthy tooth because I was careless. I also wanted to mention that I didn't have any fillings done on that tooth. It was perfectly healthy before that day I bit into the small bone. I want to thank your for any help you could offer in advance.

when you bite down on something hard, you do not always crack the tooth. sometimes you can bruise the fibers that hold in the tooth. it can give you a sensation and sound like something cracked. it will even give you the same symptoms: chewing pain and cold pain. but the way we differentiate a true crack from a bruise is that the bruise will feel better and go away in 7-10 days. if things hang around longer, then there could be a real crack in there. with a crack, sometimes the only thing we can do is put a crown on it. from what you describe, i am thinking more bruise than crack. so my recommendation is to wait it out for a week or so and see how things go. i hope this answers your question. good luck

jeff dalin, dds

Jeff Dalin DDS

general dentistry questions with topics ranging from cosmetic dentistry to dentistry for children

Fellowships in American College of Dentists, the Academy of General Dentistry, and the International College of Dentists.